Head of Busdev for Europe for a Growing VC-based Medtech Liquid Biopsy Company
Part-time role that could transition to full- or near-full time in 2021.
About Vortex Biosciences
Vortex Biosciences, a California-based medtech company working in the Liquid Biopsy sector, is establishing a supply chain, sales and marketing operation in London to service the UK and EMEA markets. Vortex’ focus is the capture and separation of Circulating Tumour Cells (CTCs) from blood, for use in multi-omic analysis, including imaging, enumeration, single-cell analysis and NGS / WGS. Vortex is backed by EMV Capital, a London-based VC investor and a subsidiary of NetScientific PLC.
A key short-term objective is to scale sales efforts in the European and other non-US markets. Starting in Q4 2020, the Company will require a Business Development lead, based in the UK, to drive an increase in the sales pipeline to circa USD 5m Annual Revenue Rate (ARR) by the end 2021, comprising direct sales of Votex’s CTC isolation platform – the VTX-1; leased VTX-1 instruments; their disposable cartridges / cassettes; and services. VTX-1 is currently a Research Use Only (RUO) instrument, with future plans to expand into a Lab Developed Tests (LDT) and FDA regulatory approvals for diagnosis.
Markets that VTX-1 has direct and immediate relevance for therefore include:
- University Hospital / Research University cancer research laboratories
- Cancer Research Laboratories directly controlled and funded by cancer research charities and state funders
- Contract Research Organisations (CROs), Private pharmaceutical and biosciences Companies’ research laboratories
- Medical Device Companies’ research laboratories, including those involved in single cell analysis, pathology imaging, cancer diagnostics, gene sequencing, liquid biopsy, partial DNA analysis, digital pathology
Role and Responsibilities
The European Business Development Lead will be supported initially by the EMV Capital team based in London followed as the pipeline builds by a dedicated resource(s) based in the UK for sales and client service. Equipment installation, servicing and maintenance services are being developed with collaboration partners alongside the European business development efforts in order to provide post-sales support.
Initially a part-time role (7-10 days per month), the Business Development lead for Vortex Europe will have the following experience and skills:
- An understanding of the research and pharmaceutical / biosciences industry, particularly in the field of cancer research in lung, pancreatic, prostate, breast, colon and liver cancers (Vortex prime oncological focus areas)
- An established network of business and research contacts in the leading research and corporate customer base (pharmaceuticals, Bioscience, Medical Devices)
- A proven track record of business development and pipeline-building in a relevant part of the Life Sciences industry
- An established reputation as a thought leader and innovator in new diagnostic or therapeutic technology in the oncology sector.
The role could transition to full- or near-full time in 2021. Financial compensation could include base fee rates, incentive-based bonuses, and if the Business Development Lead transitions to full-time employed status post 2021, shares or share options will be considered.
There is also the potential to support on a part-time basis other EMV Capital or NetScientific PLC portfolio companies.
Applications to: Agnese Palermo, EMV Capital, Canary Wharf, London (email@example.com)